Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Classroom Tools Software

How do I use Classroom Tools Software?

Since my classroom was very limited in the amount of technology available I was unable use classroom tools software with my students. I would create charts or graphs ahead of time.  I would either print one for each student or create one on the overhead projector.  Some days I would even just draw a bigger chart or diagram on chart paper.
I used story webbing a bunch with my 1st and 2nd grades. We would read a story and they would have to create webs about the character in the story. We also used webbing in Science when learning about different animals and their habitats. They would also create a story web for the brainstorming part of their creative writing activities.

I was a long term substitute teacher for 6 months for a second grade class.  On of the first day of that long term subbing job I created with the class a Venn Diagram comparing myself to their teacher. I wanted the students to understand everything wouldn't be done the same but not everything is going to change. They understood and seemed to have fun with the activity.

Image result for venn diagram

How do my students use Classroom Tools Software?

My students really didn't have access to classroom tools software, we would however create different charts and diagrams on paper together. 
They understood how to use a  KWL (Know, What to know, Learn) Chart.
Image result for kwl chart

We used webbing in both reading and science.  
I would try to give them a classroom tool as much as I could. I felt doing this allowed them to be involved in the learning and teaching. 

What else would I like to do with Classroom Tools?

I would like to create interactive webbing assignments for the students to complete. I think of it as fill in the blank activities. The students would be given the template and they would create the information to fill in the blanks.  
I think I might need a classroom before I could do this. :) 

I am sure there are many Classroom Tools, that I have forgotten or never really used. If you have a favorite please share.  

2 comments:

  1. I use KWL charts too. Have you tried using KWLQ charts? The Q is left for unanswered questions the students might still have. They seem to really enjoy looking up the answer after the assignment is finished. I have even had students research at home and bring back the information the next day to share with the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel you could use Readwritethink.org as a whole group activity if you have projector.

    ReplyDelete