Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Spreadsheets

How do I use Spreadsheet?

 When I was teaching I was required to use Spreadsheet to record MLPP (Michigan Literacy Progress Profile) and DRA (Developmental Reading Assessment) three times a year.  We were also required to create two different forms. One form would show the whole class and the other would show the individual student.  At the end of each year the individual form would enter the students record to better help their teacher next year place them in the correct reading group.  I had no problem completing this task using Spreadsheet.  
I also used Spreadsheet to keep track of funds for the student council.  I would record the amount of money we made at the different sporting events and also subtract the money we spent on dances and other events for the school.  By doing this I knew how much money we had in our account without asking the accountants. 
Before my school starting using Powerschool, I would use Spreadsheet to keep take of grades to better help fill out report cards when it came time to handwriting each one.  Boy, am I glad the school starting using Powerschool and cut report card making time in half!
We also used Spreadsheet to complete our lesson plans that were in full details with standards attached.  The school charter was going to expire so we had to keep detailed records of what we taught and when. 

How do my students use Spreadsheet?

I didn't use Spreadsheet a ton with my students. We manly used it for creating simple charts or graphs for math lessons.We would record different simple surveys and the student would work together to create bar graphs.  It was very basic and simple use of Spreadsheet. 

What else would I like to do with Spreadsheet?

Overall, I find Spreadsheet to be very intimidating.  I understand the basics. I know how to merge cells, how to create a basic chart or graphs and a couple other basic features. I would like to better understand writing functions. I remember in high school and one college class writing functions in Spreadsheet but I no longer remember how to write them. I guess I haven't needed them so why remember how to do it.  For my student council spreadsheet, I did have addition and subtraction functions in place otherwise I am at a loss!

4 comments:

  1. At what grade level did your students create charts and graphs? I worry that it may be too much for my 3rd graders to handle. I worry that we will lose focus of the math lesson by having difficulty with the technology.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it with my second graders. I was right there with them the whole time. It was a lot of me showing them and them copying them. The bar graphs were very basic also. I would try with your 3rd graders and just start slow, so we do with anything. Good Luck.

      Delete
    2. I agree excel graphing is not complicated and the average second grader can keep up.Making an excel graph on the computer can bring graphing to
      life by bringing more understanding. You can never forget the math in doing excel. I always includes math problems at the end of lesson.

      Delete
    3. I agree excel graphing is not complicated and the average second grader can keep up.Making an excel graph on the computer can bring graphing to
      life by bringing more understanding. You can never forget the math in doing excel. I always includes math problems at the end of lesson.

      Delete