Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Database Software

How do I use Database Software?

I have to admit I didn't use database software such as Access while I was teaching. When I had to create tables and charts I would use Excel.  The school required us to use Excel when reporting Michigan Literacy Progress Profile (MLPP) and Development Reading Assessment (DRA) three times a year.  
In my personal life I have created and used databases for my mail merging for Christmas cards. The database allows me to print and create address labels for each different address. I have to tell you, I created it all in Excel. I didn't even realize I was using a database until I had to edit an address.   

How do my students use Database Software?

I taught first and second grade and I don't think we ever talked about database software. My students might of learned about the program in their Technology class, but I don't recall ever hearing about it.  I don't think that my classroom computer even had any database software on the computer for the students to use. 

What else would I like to do with Database Software?

I think the answer to this question should be a long list. I would like to do a lot more than I have been doing with the software.  I like how the book talked about students researching and comparing data with the software.  My class was required to complete a report on an animal and its habit every year. I could  have the students enter different fields for their discovers about the animals. After the whole class has presented and enter their data we could use the data to compare and contrast different parts of the animals and their habits.  
I also think having a student database with emergency information is a great idea. I had a stack of forms parents filled out at the beginning on the year. Having it on the computer would free up space and also lessen the chance of me loosing the forms. 
My school used Powerschool as their grading software.  Powerschool had some information about the students, however if I created my own database, I could add the information I thought was important to have on hand.  
Another use for a database would be to catalog all the student books in the classroom.  I had bins of books, having a record might make it easier for me to locate and know what I have in the classroom or in the many storage bins. It would take a while to record all the books but it would be worth it in the long run.  

4 comments:

  1. It seems like the majority of us are in a similar situation when it comes to databases. After reading several of our blogs, it seems apparent that most of us are not using them in the classroom with our students the way we want. Ironically, the text states that databases help teach higher-order thinking skills, problem solving and research strategies, yet the majority of us are not using it as a tool. Actually, I've also noticed that most of us barely use them ourselves and are pretty limited in our experience. It makes me wonder, since this tool is such a great asset to students, why is it minimally used by teachers and with students? Hmmm....just a few thoughts that came to mind while reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we as teachers aren't using it because of the fear of the unknown or we all have figured a different way to teach those skills without using databases. I personal figured I never needed to use database since I can do most of the same projects in Excel. I am beginning to wonder why we never receive professional development on databases. I don't recall learning about them during my Bachelor degree. I remember taking a basic computer class but most of the students knew more than the professor during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got married in December, and don't even want to think about how awful the process would have been without excel and keeping all of the addresses in one place, as well as checklists for attending, gifts received, and all the wonderful, tiny, mind numbing details that go into a wedding. I hadn't even thought of that until you mentioned how you mail merged your addresses.

    Anyway, back to work life. I agree that this is a skill that it seems (in reading many of the blogs) that we don't have a lot of experience in . Many of us haven't used it directly in our classrooms outside of keeping grades or something on the data-keeping/collecting side of teaching. So much of what we teach kids is about organization and looking for the simple way to do things, that this would be a great tool to teach: if only we knew how! My dad is a teacher of 43 years. One thing he has almost always done is an end of the week checkout. His (5th and 6th grade ) students have to complete a checkout at the end of each work to ensure they've completed all of that week's work. It teaches them about responsibility, time management, and accountability. We could easily turn that kind of task into a database they kept and tracked throughout the year. We know, as teachers, how much our students grow, but this can be a visual guide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most school licensed software does not include Microsoft Access. Teachers do not use it enough to have it be worth the expense of the software. PowerSchool is a database software that my school uses on the teacher/administration side. Most districts do not let teachers write to PowerSchool how you can have your tech department create custom areas. As a school we are trying to use PowerSchool more.

    Matt Santala

    ReplyDelete